The following posts are strictly informational and to benefit those looking to further their career in Animal Care.
Veterinary Technician/Animal Keeper - CuriOdyssey Posted 10/8/2021
San Mateo, CA
CuriOdyssey is looking for a reliable, flexible, self-motivated, team orientated person, to fill the
position of Veterinary Technician/Animal Keeper. The incumbent will have shared duties of
approximately 40% animal husbandry and 60% veterinary care for the animals in the collection.
These percentages are subject to change based on the veterinary and husbandry needs of the
animals. All veterinary care will be under the direct or indirect supervision of the Staff
Veterinarian. Some of the animals in the Living Collection include River Otter, Bobcat, Raccoons,
Raptors, water birds, various amphibians and reptiles (including Northern Pacific Rattlesnake),
This position will be filled as soon as possible and once filled the posting will be deleted.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, 2 animal care references, and 2 veterinarian
references to Nikii Finch-Morales, Director of Wildlife via email at Nikiifm@curiodyssey.org
Please make it clear in the subject line that you are applying for the Veterinary
Technician/Animal Keeper position. Applicants are thanked in advance, and only individuals
selected for interviews will be contacted.
Full Time Animal Keeper and Wildlife Educator - Animal Wonders
Animal Wonders is seeking a new full time animal keeper and wildlife educator to join the organization's growing team. Based in Western Montana, this position includes full care responsibilities with a wide variety of animal residents and hosting educational presentations to the public. We are looking for an individual that will fit well with our current team. Our team culture is based in kindness, curiosity, dedication to the animals' wellbeing, and being life-long learners.
The right person for the job:
-Will be dedicated to quality work and attentive to details.
-Have excellent communication skills to effectively share important information about observed animal behavior.
-Strive to maintain quality care for the animals and make improvements when possible.
- Will understand the huge responsibility caring for animals in captivity requires.
-Will be able to accept instruction and correction readily for the goal of providing the animals with high quality care.
-Will thrive in a fast paced, multi tasking environment with many opportunities to gain new skills
The duties of the Animal Care Specialist include:
- Preparing diets and feeding the animal residents
- Creating enrichment for the animal residents
- Training animal ambassadors for husbandry needs and public presentations
- Cleaning habitats, enclosure furniture, and toys
- Giving educational presentations to audiences in-person and virtually
- Documenting animal behavior and updating animal records
Full time 32 hours, 4 days per week. $12-13/hr starting rate BOE.
18+ years old
Able to lift 50lbs
Stand and perform light physical activities for 8 hour shifts
Able to work with and around all animal species that create more than normal amounts of dust and dander
Able to multitask in a sometimes fast paced work environment
Previous animal care experience
Previous animal training experience
Experience with public speaking or education
Animal Diet Prep Specialist - Denver Zoo
Denver Zoo is a leader in animal care, wildlife conservation and education. We are passionate about our commitment to excellence in support of our mission of Inspiring Communities to Save Wildlife for Future Generations.
Denver Zoo honors our animals, staff and guests by conducting ourselves at the highest level of integrity through our Core Actions – Inspire Awe: Safety, Care, Connect and by embracing our Core Behaviors of: Passion, Respect, Innovation, Diversity and Excellence in all that we do. Visit www.denverzoo.org to learn more.
The Animal Diet Prep (Nutrition) Specialist will support Denver Zoo's mission by preparing scientifically prescribed diets for Zoo animals, distributing prepared and bulk food to various zoo areas and maintaining the Nutrition Center facility. The Nutrition Specialist operates equipment such as forklifts, pallet jacks, hand truck, trucks, electric carts commercial kitchen and small power equipment and unloads vendor deliveries and updates inventories.
Pacific Primate Sanctuary Posted 10/6/2021
Resident Assistant Manager Internship at Pacific Primate Sanctuary, Maui, Hawaii
Pacific Primate Sanctuary (PPS) is a 501(C)(3) nonprofit organization, providing rehabilitation and permanent care for threatened, endangered, and distressed primates. Since 1984, the Sanctuary has maintained a federally authorized facility for New World monkeys, many of whom have been rescued from research laboratories, the exotic pet trade, and tourist attractions.
The Assistant Manager Internship (AMI), is a unique immersion program, facilitating learning about New World primates and animal sanctuary management on an intimate, in depth, all-encompassing level. Instruction is tailored for each Assistant Manager Intern, based on his/her individual experience and skills. Initial training would consist of primate nurturance and sanctuary operations. Next, the AMI would learn animal care protocol and how to provide documentation oversight, staff training and supervision, and facility management. They would then gain an understanding of staff recruitment and selection, and grant research and development.
Responsibilities of an Assistant Manager Intern include: overseeing and participating in daily animal caregiving of 40+/- monkeys, medical/emergency procedures, behavioral conditioning and colony management. The PPS Assistant Manager assists with volunteer and Animal Care/Documentarian Intern supervision, scheduling, training, recruitment and selection. Office management responsibilities include the oversight of medical records and documentation, independent literature research, creating notes for the weekly meeting, and exploring grant opportunities. Additional projects and duties may be assigned based on the Sanctuary’s needs and skills of the Assistant Manager, including social media posting, coordinating fundraisers, and environmental education outreach. This is full time position, with on-call duties as needed.
Please begin making application for the Sanctuary Assistant Manager Intern position by submitting the following, via e-mail: your Letter of Intent, your Resume/CV, and three Letters of Reference (from employers, supervisors etc.). For additional information and application documents, please contact: email@example.com
Benay's Bird and Animal Source Posted 10/6/2021
Los Angeles, CA
Benay's Bird & Animal Source has an opening for a part time keeper, as well as a couple volunteer positions available for enrichment and socialization.
- Hands on experience caring for/working with animals
- No physical limits. Must be able to carry at least 50#
- Responsible and dependable
- Can follow directions
- Team player
- Long term position
- Positive attitude and outlook
- ABSOLUTELY NO Drama Queens/Kings
We have a large collection of animals including: Skunks, opossum, prairie dogs, raccoons, groundhogs, chipmunks, dogs, cats, and a huge collection of birds (Crows, owls, jays, song birds, parrots and more).
The part time keeper position is for 1-2 days a week. $14/hr starting.
We are looking for volunteers that can dedicate at least 4 hours a week to making and passing out toys/enrichment to our collection of animals, as well as spending time with, socializing and taking various animals for walks around the property.
There is the opportunity for advancement in the entertainment industry for the right person.
NO PHONE CALLS
Please respond with a COVER LETTER introducing yourself, and why you are interested in the position, and a RESUME to:
Siegfried & Roy's Secret Garden and Dolphin Habitat Posted 9/30/21
Las Vegas, NV
Handler position working with Cats opening soon.
For questions or to submit resume. Contact Melody at the contact information below.
Melody Hitzhusen - Compound Manager
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone#: 702-286-2571
Animals for Hollywood Posted 9/11/21
We are looking to hire a motivated, passionate and dedicated intern to learn studio animal
training and all aspects of animal care, cleaning, maintenance and our animals well-being. We are looking for someone that wants to learn the industry from the ground up and has a desire to be a top Hollywood Trainer. Internship is on a 3 month trial basis.
Entry Level Position $13.00/hr. with the opportunity to become one of our company’s Studio Trainers.
Please send a cover letter describing yourself and your goals and a resume to
Wild Wonders - Keeper Ambassador Animals Posted 9/03/21
WW is a ZAA accredited education facility with a diverse group of animal ambassadors. Looking for applicants full and part time to create lasting bonds with amazing animals in a mainly full contact facility.
- preparing diets, feeding and cleaning habitats as well as public areas
- perform routine maintenance
- administer medications and assist with minor medical procedures
- observe and perform welfare assessments
- present engaging onsite and offsite programs while keeping safety at the forefront
- work in close contact with positive reinforcement with small carnivores, reptiles, raptors, rodents, and cheetahs
- must be able to adapt to fluid situations and use critical thinking for novel issues.
- must be able to work efficiently with autonomy but flexible enough to work effectively in a small team environment
- must be physically fit as this is a demanding position in oftentimes less than ideal weather conditions.
EDUCATION AND PRE-REQUISITES
- BS or AS degree preferred but not mandatory
- knowledge of Operant conditioning.
- 1 year experience in a zoological setting in animal care(paid or non paid) valid drivers license
- ability to lift 50 lbs
- must be available any of the 7 days of the week including holidays
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- salary based on experience
- full time includes health benefits
- this is a non exempt position
- bonuses included
Please email resume and three references to:
SAN DIEGO ZOO WILDLIFE ALLIANCE - DIRECTOR OF WILDLIFE CARE Posted 8/18/21
San Diego, CA
San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is seeking an individual who is inspired to be a part of an organization that is committed
to protecting wildlife around the globe. A leader to join us in our commitment to provide opportunities to learn about,
engage with best-in-class conservation work, and share how that work is changing outcomes for wildlife every day
through visits to the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
• Oversee the San Diego Zoo wildlife collection staff, including curators, wildlife care, behavioral and support staff.
Duties include, interviewing, hiring, training, performance management and terminations of employment
• Provide complex interpretation of collection policies and procedures with the wildlife care team, Zoo leadership
team, and other stakeholders as needed
• Collaborate with architecture team and operations team on habitat design always taking into consideration the highest standards of animal welfare
• Ensure organization is compliant with all legal issues regarding domestic and international shipping of animals, including partnering with Safari Park and other agencies on wildlife welfare issues
• Engage with wildlife care team on studbook updates as needed
• Partner with the Zoo leadership team in design and master planning activities
• Ensure wildlife care operations comply, at the highest level, with established protocols, professional standards, and
• Exercise fiscal accountability and responsibility to departmental budget
• Supervises assigned Registrars
• Perform related duties and responsibilities as required
To apply: please submit a cover letter and resume in PDF format to email@example.com